MLTY Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MLTY Forums

A communication forum for the MLT students of Cambrian College

You are not connected. Please login or register

Regarding Zenkers in Histo

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Regarding Zenkers in Histo Empty Regarding Zenkers in Histo Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:14 pm

Dan

Dan

Hello Fellow Students:

This is a message from Patricia and Josh.

In you notes and in a previous post by Pat there is mention of zenkers fluid being non-coagulating... which it is. BUT please note that after the acetic acid is added (RIGHT BEFORE USE), it lowers the pH of the potassium dichromate to 2.6. Once potassium dichromate's pH drops below 3.4, it becomes non-tolerant and coagulating.

Therefore, once Zenkers solution has been mixed with the acetic acid for use in fixation, it becomes a coagulating fixative.

Hope this makes sense... it can be hard to keep up with the brain power of Josh and Patricia ;-)

Any questions, feel free to e-mail one of them... I am brain dead!

Good luck studying folks,
Dan

2Regarding Zenkers in Histo Empty Re: Regarding Zenkers in Histo Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:17 pm

Dan

Dan

Oh.. and p.s
By zenkers, I am referring to Zenkers acetic... not Helly's (zenker's formal).

Cheers,
Dan

3Regarding Zenkers in Histo Empty Zenkers stock Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:44 pm

bad lieutenant

bad lieutenant

I have notices also that the zenkers stock solution has glacial acetic acid, but when helly's is made from stock there is formalin instead and no acetic acid(in the notes). So, should the stock zenkers be just Potassium dichromate, mercuric chloride , sodium sulphate and distilled water?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum